Sunday, December 12, 2010

Are we truly more advanced?

Something the I have been pondering: are we truly more advanced than our great-grandparents generation? We have all these gadgets and tools and can know instantly what is going on across the world but we have lost the ability to find out for ourselves.

Instead of reading the Bible to find out what God says, we pick up the latest how-to-be-a-better-christian book. Or go to the ladies bible study at church. Or wait for the pastor to impart a bit of the Bible so that I have a little to get me through the week.

Our great-grandparents used to be able look at the sky and tell if rain was coming in the next few days or look at nature and tell it was going to be a harder winter. We look up today's weather on the tv or our phone but since we have heating and air conditioning we don't really care too much.

The biggest tragedy is that we don't listen to our bodies. We don't know when we are hungry or when we are full - eating and overeating by the clock. We depend on scientists and doctors to tell us what to eat - low fat, low carb, no carb etc. - and we are getting more and more overweight.

We need to start listening to our bodies, and truthfully what my body tells me may not be what your body tells you. I am learning to listen to my body when I decide what to eat and how much and I am feeling much better for it.

What has my body been telling me? I will share that in the coming ups posts. Sometimes new ideas, like food, need to be in small amounts so that they can be fully digested.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you on this Christi. All that technology has done is basically make us stupid. It does all the think-work for us and we don't have to rely on our own abilities to figure something out. I hope not to offend anyone that may read your blog with this, but it reminds me of something I saw in Sunday School yesterday. As we were reading in 1 Kings, about 5 different people all had their smartphone Bible apps running and were reading off the screen. I don't know why, but that sorta irked me. Sunday, to me, is a day of rest and essentially a day to go back to basics. Don't we do enough hurrying throughout the week? Put the phones away, pick up your Bible and relax in it. At least the Bible can't distract you with a blinking LED to let you know you've received an email, because let's face it, it's too easy to click over and check that message. Technology has made everything too easy and that's making us all lazy.

    ReplyDelete