Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Sometimes you feel like you are doing something right

Motherhood can be rough. Some days you feel like a washrag that has been wrung out too tightly. Other days you feel like you are being pecked to death by chickens.

But sometimes, just sometimes, you hear about something your child has done and this indescribable wave of joy, pride, love, and gratitude washes over you. It's not a feeling of "I am an amazing parent" but a feeling of "thank you God for this wonderful little person that I have the privlege of watching them grow into the Godly person that you have designed them to be."

We had a playdate today with a little girl, I'll call her Rose, who is a year younger than Daisy. Both of my kids are very outgoing and so there wasn't any of that awkwardness that sometimes happens with kids who don't play together often. Rose's mom and I got busy talking and before we knew it, we had been there 3 1/2 hours at McDonalds.

As we were leaving, Daisy told me about some difficulties that Rose's family were having (dad lost his job in Nov) and both kids were pretty concerned.

Later I got an email from Rose's mom. She said that Rose told her about the conversation she and Daisy had about the job. She was glad that Rose was able to talk to Daisy about it, they didn't even realize that Rose was worried about it.

There are not too many feelings quite like finding out your child has blessed someone.

3 comments:

  1. That's a really special post, Christi. Don't you wish you could have been a fly on the wall during the girls' conversation?
    I'm amazed that they lasted 3 1/2 hours at MacDonalds!
    Oh, and that pecked by chickens feeling? I know it well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's wonderful! It sounds to me that God blessed at least two people through that conversation -- Rose and you. :)

    (By the way, the "pecked to death by chickens" description made me laugh. I'm going to have to remember that when I'm HAVING one of those days. Hehe.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post! It IS wonderful to find out your child has blessed someone.

    You must have had warm mommy tingles all over your heart! :)

    ReplyDelete