Monday, January 12, 2009

We need some Shirley Temple -- my only economy post

Have you ever watched any of the old Shirley Temple movies?

I used to love them as a child, I watched Heidi over and over.

Then as a teen, I thought they were silly.

Then as an adult, I liked them except found them a bit cloyingly sweet and cheerful, especially considering the time they were made in (Great Depression). With stories such as Bright Eyes where her dad dies but all is ok after a few songs and dances, it makes Pollyanna seem like a grump.

However I think things have gone a bit too far the other way.

If we have a depression or the market worsens, I lay most of the blame on the media. A portion does belong to congress if they don't change the CPSIA law, check out the "Save Handmade" link to the right for more information.

Everytime I turn on the news, it is yammering about how the economy is going to get worse. Even sitcoms are talking about the economy.

While complete oblivion is bad, this hyperfocus is only making things worse.


While I am on the subject, please consider writing to your congressmen about the CPSIA law. While protecting our children from lead is vitally important, this law goes too far. Small cottage businesses will be forced to close, which even I know is bad for the economy. We won't be able to purchase anything for our children that is not mass-produced.

2 comments:

  1. Ugh, the media is THE WORST. They love to whip the masses into a panic. About everything. And they sweep under the rug anything that doesn't fit their agenda. Journalistic integrity -- puh.

    I agree with you about that CPSIA law (good-bye, Etsy), and it'll certainly do nothing to boost the economy. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been amazed about the CPSIA law. It seems so farfetched!!

    Thanks for your warning about the digital camera. No injuries occurred, and we threw away the parts. :-) I was a bit concerned at first, but I took out the batteries and instructed her not to crack the LCD screen.

    ReplyDelete