Saturday, January 31, 2009

An even easier bread

I was talking with a dear friend and she mentioned that she wanted to make a chicken recipe that she had seen but they don't really drink beer. So in order to make this chicken, they would have to buy a 6 pack and then have 5 beers sitting around for however long.

The recipe they were wanting to try is Beer Can Chicken. This is a chicken that you season with whatever (I use Tony Chachere’s) and then stand the chicken up with the beer can open in the cavity. Yummmmmm.

So I offered to give her a beer but then later remembered one of my favorite quick breads and so gave her 2 beers plus a recipe.

Southern Living came out with this a few years ago and it is such a simple recipe with a flavorful bread. I have made it half whole wheat / half all-purpose but it doesn't always turn out. Sometimes it is too dense that way (I think you have to add baking powder or baking soda to make it with the whole wheat).

So if you are wanting to make beer can chicken and want a way to use up the extra beer, this is a great recipe.

Sweet beer bread

3 cups self-rising flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 (12-ounce) beer*
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted

Stir together first 3 ingredients; pour into a lightly greased 9- x 5-inch loaf pan.

Bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Pour melted butter over top. Bake 10 more minutes.

*Non-alcoholic or light beer may be substituted.

Cheddar-Chive Beer Bread: Add 3/4 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese and 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives to dry ingredients. Proceed as directed.

I will say that different beers give different flavors. My favorite beer to make this is Shiner Bock, but it is also my favorite to drink. But I made it with a different beer (Killian's Red or Sam Adams I think) and the bread had a sharper taste. So if you don't like it, the beer that you used could be the problem.

2 comments:

  1. I have a beer bread recipe sitting out that I have been meaning to try. But I love the idea of the Cheddar-Chive bread. We always have beer and cheese in the fridge and chives from the garden in the freezer. Yum! I may try it today! Thanks for the tip...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum, I'm definitely trying this beer bread recipe. Sounds divine!

    ReplyDelete