Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Once again with Facebook

I have to say one more time that I love Facebook. When you have moved as much as I did, you just don't keep track of people.

I have mentioned that I found my best friends from high school because of facebook.

A good friend found me. We met when we were 10 and then were really good at writing each other until our 20's. We reconnected about 5 years ago but then lost touch again. So it was great to hear from her.

I have now found my best friend from junior high (I moved away in the 10th grade).

I also found someone I have been wanting to apologize to for at least 15 years.

I try to be nice usually. If I am not nice, most of the time its an accident. But to this girl, I was pretty mean. I didn't beat her up or anything like that, but I really wasn't nice to her.

She and I were friends with someone else and I was insecure and jealous. So I was mean.

So when I found her on facebook, I really thought about whether or not to write. If she had forgotten me, then I would be bringing up old wounds. But I also thought of one person I really wanted to be friends with and she apparently couldn't stand me, I would be interested in knowing what it was.

So I wrote a message. (You can send messages to people that aren't your "friends" and I didn't know if she would want to be friends -- gosh that sounds juvenile).

And she wrote me back a most gracious message forgiving me.

Hopefully you have no idea what a burden that lifted.

So yet another reason I love facebook.

3 comments:

  1. I have a love/hate relationship with Facebook. One one hand, I have gotten in touch with people I had wondered about for years--including a childhood friend I last saw when I was about 10. Also, there are word games to play.

    On the other hand, I've learned the hard way not to accept friend requests from everyone I knew once upon a time, because not everyone who was annoying and shallow in HS grew out of it. Also, there are word games to play.

    Anyway, that's really neat that you were able to find and apologize to this girl and that she has forgiven you. Facebook redeems itself sometimes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am new to Facebook and I'm not quite sure yet what I think of it. I have been "found" by people that I thought were long gone from my life - and I'm not so sure that's a good thing. ;) It seems like a huge high school reunion and I thought I had left those years behind me.
    However, I have re-connected with some old college rooomies and that has been fun. It's weird. That's all there is to it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also found an old friend that I was REALLY mean to pretty much most of junior high and high school. I found her on Facebook and did the same thing you did. And I was also worried about bringing up old burried memories. She excepted my appology - asked to be my friend and she is one of the people I chat with most on FB. Yes, what a burden lifted up!

    Recent blog post: A Typical Day...in my life

    ReplyDelete