Monday, January 5, 2009

Absolutely Yummy Gluten-Free Cornbread

First let me say, I did work out for 30 minutes today. Although I have to admit, I was 1/2 asleep when I picked the first 15 minute work out so I don't know what I did. I am feeling somewhat sore still but not horrible. AND I lost 4 lbs today.

So what if it is all water weight.

It's still 4 lbs.

I'd do a happy dance but that might hurt.



So now for some good stuff.

The Absolutely Yummy Gluten-Free Cornbread recipe came from my Grandmother's Mexican Cornbread dish. Its a wonderful meal and really isn't hot. I have made it somewhat healthier than her original which called for bacon drippings and I am pretty sure more than 1/3 of a cup (I think it was 1/2). I am pretty sure this could be done even healthier but I haven't really puttered with it too much.

First the Mexican Cornbread recipe and then I will do the regular cornbread. Oh, i make this in a number 8 cast iron skillet (which for some reason means 10 inches) and it fits perfectly.

Grandmothers Mexican cornbread



1 can cream-style corn
2 well beaten eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/3 Cup oil (vegetable, olive, etc) or bacon drippings
1/2 pound ground beef
1 large onion finely chopped
1/2 pound cheddar cheese grated
1 can mild green chilies -- you could leave these out, but I promise you don't want to

MIX & SET ASIDE first 7 ingredients

Saute ground meat. Drain on paper towel

Place in a separate mounds: onion, cheddar cheese, and chilies

Grease a large black skillet. Heat, sprinkle a very thin layer of corn meal in skillet and let it brown slightly.

Pour 1/2 batter in skillet

Sprinkle cheese evenly over batter, Meat, onion and finally peppers

Pour remaining batter on top.

Bake 45-50 min.@ 350. Serve with salsa, and maybe a salad.


So I took that recipe and found my cornbread. YUM! Unfortunately for you, I forget to time stuff when I cook it so the bake time is a guess.


Absolutely Yummy Gluten-Free Cornbread



1 can cream-style corn
4 well beaten eggs
2 cup milk
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups yellow cornmeal
2/3 Cup oil (vegetable, olive, etc) or bacon drippings

MIX ingredients, if it seems too soupy to you then add some more corn flour. I usually do (to both recipes) but I have a bad tendency to also not measure, so I don't know how much more (maybe between 1/4 - 1/2 a cup). I will try to figure it out though.

If you have a seasoned skillet, just pour it in. If not, you may want to grease it.

Bake 45-50 minute at 350. Although you might want to check it after 30.

You probably could leave out the creamed corn but I think its part of the reason it's so moist. You could add sugar for those of you that like sweet cornbread, but this one doesn't really need it. The creamed corn adds a subtle sweetness but not like Yankee cornbread for my fellow southerners.

Although I like Yankee cornbread.

By the way, I cook somewhat like my Great-Grandmother. I use measurments as a guideline but I do tend to eyeball alot. Or throw other stuff in that appeals to me that day. That's why my recipes are somewhat vague.

I am a bit more precise about baking though. With alot of baking, there is science involved and it's not worth the hassle. In this case though, its not as big of a deal.

If you want to try a real southern treat: cut a good sized slice of cornbread and put in a bowl, pour milk about 1/2 way up the cornbread and then break it up. Let the milk soak into the cornbread and eat (you can heat it or eat cold.)

My grandparents and great-grandparents would do this with buttermilk instead of milk but . . . ewwwwwww. I don't like buttermilk.

1 comment: