Thursday, June 4, 2009

7 quick takes

It's that time of the week again . . . 7 Quick Takes.



  1. We know how to have a fun summer, you start it off with some fun.

    Something like . . . umm . . . antibiotics.

    Junior's sore throat turned out to be strep. Luckily at his age, they bounce back really quickly. The next morning he was amazed that he felt so much better. His eye took a bit longer to get back to normal but is finally is normal.


  2. Daisy saw the Biggest Loser cookbook and mentioned that it looked like me on the back cover. "You know, with the blond hair . . . and the body . . . ."

    Unfortunately she was talking about a before picture.

    I have lost about 25 lbs but have a ways to go, which is the reason I am doing the 30 day challenge over at Kim's blog. Hopefully that will get me into the habit and I can get rid of these other extra pounds.


  3. Which reminds me, I mentioned how I had ordered a swimsuit from Lands End. Well, they called today to see how I liked it and to be sure I was happy with my order.

    It was just $13 so I am impressed that they called over such a small amount. I was beginning to think that no one cared about good customer service anymore.


  4. Daisy has been a struggling reader for awhile. To be honest, I am not sure that she is on grade level yet but she is getting pretty close. She has made huge strides in her reading ability over the past year, and part of it is her confidence is going up.

    In late January, I convinced her to challenge herself with a goal of reading a chapter book every two months. While she wasn't convinced she could do it, she agreed. To make her feel better about it, we just called it 5 books in the year.

    She made her goal 2 days ago.

    I knew she would hit it early, but she is so proud and excited. And she wanted to go to the library and pick out a new book.


  5. I am working my way through The Shack by Will Young. I am not sure what I think about it. Part of the problem is that I have heard so much about the questionable points of theology that I am not able to relax and enjoy the story.

    I also am struggling with the way God is portrayed, it seems flippant to me and I just don't like that either. Because of these problems, I don't know how much of my other criticisms are valid or if they are all just because I am not loving the book.

    I also don't like the other part of the book, you know the first time the shack was used in the book (don't want to spoil it for anyone.) I know it happens and it is out there, I just . . . it breaks my heart.


  6. I washed one of Hubby's new t-shirts with something reddish that bled a bit on the shoulder and sleeve. I have been using a bar of Fels Naptha as a stain treatment and so I tried it on that.

    If you know where to look, you can see a faint pinkish tint but that is all (it is a grey shirt so that helps). I am really pretty impressed. Nearly every other time I have had that happen, the clothes have been ruined.

    It also is supposed to be great with poison ivy - it removes the oils so that the breakout isn't as bad. I can't get anyone to test it for me though, and I am not allergic.

  7. I got nothin'. My mind is now a complete blank.


Have a good weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Our summer started out in a similar fashion, except it was pneumonia.

    I've been hearing a lot about The Shack lately, maybe I'll pick it up one day.

    Recent blog post: 7 Quick Takes: Update

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - strep... what a way to start the summer. Yikes! I'm very excited that Daisy is picking up the reading - there really is nothing better than sitting down and letting your mind get swept away by a great story!

    Recent blog post: Friday Favorites - Postponed

    ReplyDelete