Friday, December 18, 2009

The little things

This morning I woke up to a quiet house.

No buzz of the alarm clock, no hum of the heater, nothing.

The power was out. It hadn't been out long, it wasn't yet cold (or any colder than usual). I got up, looked out the window and saw the electrical truck driving around, looking for the problem.

I knew the power would be coming back on.

I knew we would have heat.

I knew we would have food.

I knew my husband would be home that night.

I knew my children were healthy.

I may not  have been able to follow my routine because of a power outage, but that is a very little thing. A minor inconveienece.

Since my routine is to make some hot tea and read email - neither of which I could do with no power - I just went back to bed. My 6 year old had crawled into my bed and so I snuggled up with him and went back to sleep.

But I felt grateful for the little things, those little things that can be such big things.

No comments:

Post a Comment