So I made Mom's tomato soup which is so much better than the stuff in a can. It's a chunky thick soup, more of a stew consistancy. And it is so stinking simple that a five year old could make it. . . if you let him use a knife.
I would have taken pictures of the soup but . . . we ate it. Even Junior who hates cooked tomatoes and onions, liked it . . . sort of. He liked it on the grilled cheese sandwiches when he dunked them. Considering how full it is of onions and cooked tomatoes, that is high praise indeed.
- 2 28 ounce cans diced tomatoes (you can use another type but I prefer diced)
- 2 cans condensed tomato soup
- 1 onion diced (approx 1 cup)
- 2 bell peppers (approx 1 cup)
- 2 tablespoon sugar (or up to 4)
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
Put it all in a large pot and heat over medium high until onions and bell peppers are tender. Serve with grilled cheese.
If its too thick for you you could thin it down with water or broth or something.