Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Works for Me Wednesday - boiling eggs



My first Works for Me Wednesday! I am soo excited!

My kids love boiled eggs. They just love them and since they are healthy I try to keep them around.

I just don't want them cracking an egg only to find out it isn't a boiled egg.

There is that little trick of spinning an egg and if it won't spin, it is raw. Especially when it is on it's way to the floor. The cooked eggs spin nicely, also on the way to the floor.

But an even easier method (and much less risky) is to tint the eggs as they are boiling.

I don't mean drag out the red dye and the vinegar. Just save your tea bag from the morning cup of tea, or some used coffee grounds and drop them in the pot with the boiling eggs and boil as usual.

It doesn't take very much, just 1 bag or about a tablespoon. It isn't enough to flavor the eggs, but it does give them a darker color like the manilla paper used in grade school.

They can then be stored in the original container. Tinting the eggs with a used tea bag Works for Me

5 comments:

  1. janmary, N IrelandApril 8, 2009 at 6:33 AM

    This is a great idea - thanks :)

    Recent blog post: WFMW - an easy kids treasure hunt

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this idea, I get so annoyed with myself when I go to crack an egg and discover I grabbed it off the wrong shelf in the fridge *L*

    Recent blog post: Cruising to Newcastle

    ReplyDelete
  3. great idea!

    Recent blog post: Forgiveness

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to the party, friend! That's a great idea!

    Recent blog post: Migraine/Headache Help

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! I'm going to use it! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete