Friday, October 2, 2009

7 quick takes



Don't forget to check out Conversion Diary for more quick takes

1. I really, really hate it when there are a bazillion ideas for posts floating around in my head (kind of link watching dust motes in the sunshine) but when I get to the computer they all disappear. Unfortunately it happens too often. I have thought that it would be convenient to have my thoughts transferred to the computer - kind of like a portable thought Dictaphone without the talking out loud. The problem is that it is scary enough for me to follow my thought process - I don't know that anyone else would want to see the true "stream of conscious"ness.

2. Our homeschool group does soccer this time of year, we just meet on Saturdays and the kids are divided into three groups. With the younger groups, it is very relaxed and low key. No score keeping, the kids are divided into teams each Saturday and the coaches try to get the talent evenly spread out so there isn't one team obviously better than the other.

The kids love it, this is Junior's first year and he was a bit nervous at first but he had a good time. Not that he will admit it. No, he was only smiling so he could stretch out his mouth.

3. Boys wisdom: "If everyone in the world all pooted at the same time, all the free air would smell really, really bad." (pooted would be passing gas, flatulence, whatever you want to call it).

4. We had co-op today and I have had some mild virus all week. By the time we finished and I picked Daisy up from her extra class, it was 4:30 and I had a headache and was tired. So I thought I would lay down for a bit and ended up sleeping 3 1/2 hours.

Hubby knows how much a I hate to take naps, I may doze off on the couch but I seldom lay down in bed for a nap. So he knew I needed the sleep and took care of everything for the evening - even reading the stories which he really isn't fond of doing.

5. We are currently taking large doses of vitamin D because I have heard from various sources that a vitamin d deficiency is linked to flu and colds. Researchers in Canada or studying to see if this is also true of the h1n1 virus.

In the meantime, I prefer to go ahead and take it and ward off (or reduce the symptoms). So we all recently started taking vitamin D in addition to the regular vitamins. Perhaps I wouldn't have gotten sick if I had gone ahead and started taking it earlier. (There is an interesting article here explaining more about it and the science behind it. The first part of the article is talking more about why this guy started researching it, but it does get into the science and research).

6. Have you seen this video?



I wish I knew more about the history of it but I think it is still amazing. Both Junior and Daisy watched it, he liked the music at the beginning and thought it was impressive to watch but didn't really understand the story. Daisy understood the story better but wasn't sure why the live veiwers seemed so upset. After all it was such a long time ago that the war happened (1945). It didn't seem quite so far away when she learned that her great-grandfather would have fought in that war had he lived in the Ukraine.

7. Shameless plug: I also have the two other blogs, homeschool and recipes. I have even been a little better at updating them so I would love it if you would check them out. They are featured in the buttons up top that say "Our Little Homeschool in the Pineywoods" and "Kitchen Chaos."

Ok, I am really tired despite the long nap so I am done. That's all. No more. Fini.

No comments:

Post a Comment