Monday, October 19, 2009

Harry Connick Jr - Your Songs


I was lucky enough to be able to receive the new Harry Connick Jr album - Your Songs - to review for the One2one network. I admit I have very . . . eclectic music tastes. I like music from almost all genres and from most time periods. It is easier to describe what I don't like - rap and Barry Manilow (sorry Heather).

So what I was expecting from Harry Connick Jr was more of his lovely Frank Sinatra-esque music - and there was some of that. But there was also some that seemed Barry Manilow-ish. Maybe it is because of the time period that those specific songs are from, none of them are Barry Manilow songs, but I kept thinking the next song would be Copacabana.

Don't get me wrong, there are some songs I love on the cd - All the Way, Besame Mucho, The Way You Look Tonight, Some Enchanted Evening, Mona Lisa - but it isn't my new favorite cd. It might have been if the song selection had been different.

The most critical family members tolerated it although there were comments that it sounded like Dave from Alvin and the Chipmunks - in fairness I think it had more to do with the style of music than Harry Connick Jr's voice.

So if you like Frank Sinatra and Barry Manilow you will probably love this album - either that or you will think I am crazy for the comparison to Manilow.

I was given the album for free but received no other payment of any kind for this review. These are my unbiased and unedited opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment