Thursday, October 29, 2009

When I am sick, I make soup

Soup is one of those comfort foods for me, I love tomato soup in all sorts of ways, cream of soups, hearty stews, I just love soup. When I am sick chicken soup is what particularly appeals to me.

I have given you my strict recipe for chicken noodle soup. In the spirit of that soup, I was making a chicken soup yesterday, decided to put in rice because we had a bunch of left over rice from something else. I forgot the onion but did put in the celery and carrot.

Then I tried something new, I put in 1/2 of a butternut squash that I just cubed into about 1 inch cubes.

OH MY WORD!!!!

It took the chicken and rice soup to a whole new level of good. I wasn't quite sure what to expect from the squash but it did its usual partial melting thing where some was firm like a carrot but other just flavored the broth.

Hubby and Daisy loved it, (Junior wasn't very hungry and "doesn't like soup").

All in all, it was a definite do again.

No comments:

Post a Comment