Friday, July 3, 2009

7 quick takes



Dont forget to check out Jennifer at Conversion Diary for other Quick takes.

1. It is midnight and 86 degrees outside. Not to mention it is humid enough to peel paint - although in fairness, we only have 2 humidity levels peeling paint and rusting stainless steel.

2. I just started playing with Farmville on Facebook. It's kind-of nice having crops that aren't dying from lack of water, unlike our garden. Unfortunately, we can't eat any of it.

3. Once again, I learned not to go to the grocery store hungry. I went in for chicken so I wouldn't have to open the deep freeze. I came out with a cart full of stuff including ice cream to go in the deep freeze.

4. Tonight we read Catundra about a cat who was a little chubby and the other animals made fun of her so she ate more which made her fatter . . . . Then she met a mole who helped her go on a diet and exercize so she lost all the extra weight and was happy.

Only when we finished, Junior suggested that maybe I should "eat only healthy stuff and exercise alot, alot, alot." Twerp.

5. We had what could have been a healthy supper. A large green salad with strawberry slices and grilled chicken. The only problem was the vinaigrette - which is supposed to be better than the creamy dressings. I had gotten a strawberry chardonnay vinaigrette and I was afraid it might be too strongly flavored. It wasn't. Daisy deemed it "not too repulsive" and poured a fair amount on her salad. I discovered that without a huge amount, there wasn't enough flavor to notice it so I ended up using way too much dressing which then negates the whole salad for supper thing.

And I over cooked the chicken enough for it to be dry.

6. A friend sent me this recipe for turkey meatloaf made with spinach and that is what we had Wednesday night. Can I just say YUM! The kids were none to sure about something called "meat loaf" but tried it and both really liked it. Even Junior agreed that it tasted good even with the onions. As a side note, now onions are not evil in meatloaf and spaghetti sauce but still remain evil at all other times. Junior was a bit puzzled by the "leaves" but he likes spinach so he was fine with it once we told him what it was.

We didn't like the buttermilk mashed potatoes, they just had too much of a buttermilky wang but the meatloaf is a definite winner in this house.

7. I don't know if I have bragged about Hubby's latest accomplishment - I can't find it if I did. He used the Nicoderm patch and quit smoking after close to 20 years. He has been smoke-free for somewhere around 3 or 4 months (he can tell you exactly how long it has been.) He stopped using the patches in early June anyway. I am so very, very proud of him.

No comments:

Post a Comment