Friday, July 31, 2009

Listen to the radio

Hmm, it seems like there are some songs that say that.

Oh well. I thought I would tell you about my newly discovered favorite way of listening to the "radio".

I suppose it isn't a true radio because you don't tune into ninty-eleventy FM.

And you have to have internet access.

And you get to say that you never want to hear a song again and they won't play it anymore.

Ok, maybe it is not so much like a radio.

Anyway, it is Pandora.com - I really don't know what radio has to do with a girl who opens a box and lets all the evil things in the world escape but anyway.

You go to Pandora.com and pick out a musician you want to hear (you can also do a song but I don't suggest it.) Pandora will then play that artist and other music that is like it.

For instance, I put in Journey and I have heard
  • Bon Jovi's Wanted Dead or Alive,
  • Journey's Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin',
  • Aerosmith's Dream On,
  • Kansas' Carry On My Wayward Son
  • REO Speedwagon's I can't Fight This Feeling Anymore,
  • Journey's Ask the Lonely
  • and of course no play list from that time is complete without The Eagles' Hotel California.
Each song you can vote on whether you like it or not, if you like it then they play more songs similar.

Like I said, you can put in a specific song and they will play music similar to it but if you are wanting to hear that song, you will have to wait awhile. Something about their licensing laws that they have to wait a certain amount of time before they can play that song. For instance if you want to hear The Search is Over you are better off imputing Survivor because it might come up.

And the music selection is much wider than you might suspect. I have found Christian artists (Chris Tomlin) as well as old stuff like Gene Autry (I have very eclectic music tastes).

Do I get any benefit from saying all these nice things about Pandora? Yes! I get free music to listen to, and it is music that I like.

Of course, you do too. And you don't have to review Pandora to get free music. And they probably don't care that I have said all this. And they didn't ask me to do it.

So really I don't get a thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment