Sunday, September 6, 2009

Pick your side now!

I have been seeing a disturbing trend - I wish it was a new thing but I think it has been around for decades - of women attacking other women for their parenting choices. I am not talking about appalling choices like selling your daughter into prostitution - no, choices like stay-at-home vs work-outside-the-home, public school vs homeschool, pro-Obama speech against anti-Obama speech (which then denigrates into the school choice debate).

Seriously?!?

Admittedly there are some crappy parents out there. Some parents do send their child to public school because they are too cheap/lazy/whatever to think about the choices and they don't care. There are also some parents that shouldn't be homeschooling their child. There are parents who don't deserve to be parents because they don't want to take the time to be parents and there are parents who have made such a mess of their life that they shouldn't have the responsibility of another life.

My husband and I chose to homeschool our children because that is the best choice for us as a family. I see so many benefits of homeschooling. While I would love to share a list, that really doesn't do anything except put some non-homeschoolers on the defensive. It is very difficult to praise the one without condemning the other.

I know there are many who chose public school (or private school) that believe just as firmly that they are doing the right thing for their family.

How arrogant to judge them as being wrong! ! I don't know them or their family as well as they do - or you and your family as well as you. Just as you don't know my family as well as I do.

Can't we just agree to disagree without getting so emotional? My choices are not condemning your choices, and your choices really don't affect my choices.

There is enough mother-guilt without us adding to our burden.

4 comments:

  1. I agree. We all have our own opinions and we all have a right to those opinions. If we would spend more time encouraging and edifying one another, we would be a lot better off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, sistah! I knew I liked you for some reason...hee hee! and I completely agree with Beth...One Blessed Nana also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree - I think that every choice is hard, and should be respected as such. I mean it's not easy to make the tough choices for your family... and everything you mentioned would be classified as a tough choice. You can only do the best you can with what God gives you... and go from there. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very well said. And we'd be better able to focus on executing well the choices we've made than if we're sitting around wondering if others are judging us. What a waste of time! It takes all kinds to make the world go 'round...:)

    ReplyDelete