Saturday, March 7, 2009

how our family grew to a family of three - part IV

This one is a bit long, but it was either one long one or two short ones. It is also the last one about my first pregnancy, which was the easy one.
If you missed the previous installments here they are Part I and Part II and Part III


I had the cerclage removed when it was safe for me to go in labor, about 2 weeks before my due date. Sometimes that can start labor, but not for me.

I wasn't due for another week, and about 11'O clock on Friday my mom called. She needed open heart surgery and had was sure that she had told me when it was going to be done. I didn't hear her until she called me that Friday morning because she had noticed that I was oblivious. Her surgery was set for wednesday.

I was shocked and then flew into a panic. More than almost anything else, I wanted my mother there when I gave birth but the contractions had completely stopped. Because around here the Doctors only do a half day on friday, it was too late to talk to my OB about inducing. I pulled out my herb book and looked up herbs to start labor. I went and bought black cohash, blue cohash, and every other herb mentioned. I tried balsamic vinegar. I tried talking to the massage therapist who had told me that there were areas to avoid while pregnant because it could start labor.

I did everything I could, all weekend.

And. Nothing. Happened.

Sunday night, I thought I would take a bath. While in the tub, I faced my fear that my mom would die during her surgery and would never see her grandbaby. Sobbing, I poured my heart out to God and told Him that He had better have a better plan than I did.

Finally at peace, I got out of the tub and sat down to write in my pregnancy journal.
I had admitted that it was God who was in control, not me. It was about midnight and absolutely peaceful. The only sound was the sound of my pen scratching on the book.

Then I heard a pop.

I thought nahhh, but then realized my water broke.

So I woke up hubby, we got in the car and drove over to the hospital. On the way, I called my parents so they could be there (they lived 2 hours away).

By the time I got there the labor was pretty painful and so I was glad to finally get a pain shot. I will freely admit to being an absolute wimp.

I was finally able to get an epidural and it was wonderful. Finally around 9 our little princess arrived.

She had the cord wrapped around her neck.

But she had put her hand up by her face first so her arm prevented her being choked.

She was born on Monday and my mom was there in the delivery room.

Wednesday, still on a new grandbaby high, my mom had successful heart surgery.

God had every detail worked out perfectly.

1 comment:

  1. Wow - you certainly had an eventful pregnancy all the way through. I'm so glad that God had a plan and was there for you at every step. I pray that I'll have a story with a happy ending at some point too...

    Recent blog post: Whew