Wednesday, February 25, 2009

How our family grew to a family of three -- part III

Tonight at church we were discussing when we felt closest to God. What time was it when we clung to Him.

While I would love to say that my walk with Him is wonderful and close every day, I have to confess that it's not. I would love for it to be true, especially if that meant I didn't have to go through trying times.

My pregnancies remain the longest time I clung to God with every fiber of my being. I had no choice. Clinging to Him was what kept me sane and somewhat at peace.

If you missed the previous installments here they are Part I and Part II


I suppose I should confess, I really wanted to kick those women who would smile and serenely say "I just loved being pregnant." The urge is gone now, and I truly am glad for them. I just really didn't want to hear it when I was pregnant.

After my surgery, I thought I could go back to work. First day on the job though, I started cramping so that was it. I was home for the rest of the pregnancy.

I still had to take it easy, but wasn't on bedrest. We would go out to our favorite restaurant where someone delighted in telling people I was pregnant with twins.

Until I threatened her.

Then she stopped.

I was overweight before I got pregnant. Then on bedrest, there was little to do besides eat and read. So I gained more than I wanted to know. Plus, I am one of those that carries big so I did look like I could be carrying twins, or more. sigh

I never had any braxton-hicks contractions. I wanted to, I was curious. But I got the real thing. I don't remember exactly when they started but sometime around the beginning of the 3rd trimester I was having problems with preterm labor.

Contractions would start, not painful but noticeable. I would go to the hospital, be hooked up to the monitors. Then I would get an injection to stop labor, and when things calmed down, would go home. As a side note, Daisy had hiccups alot and it was cute to hear those on the monitor.

I would be given terbutaline to stop the contractions. That stuff makes coffee look like a sedative! We went for breakfast after one of the hospital trips and I was too jittery to finish my breakfast. That's bad when a pregnant woman is too jittery to eat.

After about 3 trips to the hospital, I was put on terbutaline pills to stop the contractions. I had to take it every 3 hours. Even at night. But it was worth it, I got used to it, and it seemed to get better again.

Things mostly calmed down for a bit.

Oh, except we moved.

Isn't that exactly what you want to do when you are 7 months pregnant?

Luckily, my family drove up to help and got us moved in one weekend. I would unpack a box then go and rest. Then unpack another.

And so it went until things were unpacked. Things were uneventful until the few days before I was to give birth.

to be continued Part IV


  1. I remember hearing some statistic about how many people move house when they are expecting a child. I, rather helpfully, can't remember what the statistic was, but I recall it being very high!

    Does sound like it was a scary kind of a pregnancy. I've not had one of those yet -- probably haven't had the same resulting blessings either, though.

  2. Wow - you were a trooper... although - for that gift, I can't imagine anything more worth it. :-)

  3. Wow - what a story! I can't wait for the happy ending!

    Isn't it amazing what we will do to have children? And what modern medicine can do to help? Amazing. And wonderful. ;)

  4. I'm so glad the story does have a happy ending, otherwise I'd be getting really nervous reading this.

    The part where you threatened the person spreading vicious lies about you carrying twins made me laugh. I would have done the same.

    I carried big too, especially with my first--I carried him ALL OVER and put on 50 pounds, some of which I still keep with me as a sentimental keepsake. (Snort).